Songs with Bird Titles or Lyrics
Birds inspire us with their song - what are some songs we humans have written that talk about the birds?
One of the most famous is Rockin' Robin, by a young Michael Jackson. "He rocks in the treetop all the day long, hoppin' and a boppin' and a singin' his song. All the little birds on jaybird street love to hear that robin goin' tweet-tweet-tweet'. OK, the lyrics aren't exactly Simon and Garfunkel quality, but it was pretty catchy!
Then there's "Close to You" by The Carpenters. I have to admit that every time I hear this song, I think of the time they were on the Muppet Show. The muppets were singing along and during the key parts, little birds would all become stuck to them like magnets. Quite funny. The lyrics go, "Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near? Just like me, they long to be ... close to you". And ZOOP the birds would be VERY close to them :)
And then there's the one that I actually liked a lot until the US Postal Service turned it into a commercial. It was "Fly like an Eagle" by the Steve Miller Band. Again, lyrics were sort of iffy. "Fly like an eagle to the sea. Fly like an eagle, let your spirit carry me."
Here are more songs submitted by Morganpuff and other birding fans!
- "Blackbird" by the Beatles
- "And Your Bird Can Sing" by the Beatles
- "Bluebird" by McCartney/Wings
- "Birds of Paradise" by the Pretenders
- "Bird Feeder" by Devon
- "Birds" by Elton John
- "High Flying Bird" by Elton John
- "Three Little Birdies" by Bob Marley and the Wailers
- "Song Bird" by Oasis
- "Birds Without Wings" by David Gray
- "Birds of a Feather" by Phish
- "Bird Song" by the Grateful Dead
- "Little Birdy" by Ween
- "Little Bird" by the Beach Boys
- "Little Bird" by the White Stripes
- "Little Bird" by Annie Lennox
- "Fish and Bird" by Tom Waits
- "Mockin Bird" by Tom Waits
- "Jockey Full of Bourbon" by Tom Waits (Chorus "Hey little bird, fly away home...)
- "I'm like a Bird" by Nelly Furtado
- "My Bird Performs" by XTC
- "Ladybird" by XTC
- "Night Bird Flying" Jimi Hendrix
- "Gus the Mynah Bird" by Stereolab (not about birds at all but my friend and I both like Stereolab)
- "Bird Dream of the Olympus Mons" by the Pixies (supposed to be about a bird who falls asleep and dreams of flying to Mars)
- "Yellow Bird" by Chris Isaak (not so sure if he wrote this one)
- "Beautiful Bird" by Travis
- "The Cage" by Travis
- "Birdhouse in Your Soul" by They Might Be Giants
- "I Like Birds" by the EELS
- "Still Fighting It" by Ben Folds (beautiful song, vague bird and flying metaphor used)
- "Birds" by Ben Folds Five (instrumental)
- "Bird and Fish" by Suzanne Ciani (sort of new age instrumental)
- "Three Little Birdies Down Beats" by Chemical Brothers (techno/electronic instrumental)
- "White Winged Dove" by Fleetwood Mac
White Winged Dove by Stevie Nicks
Fly Like An Eagle - Steve Miller Band
The 12 Birds of Christmas
Do you know of any songs that feature birds in them? Please drop me a note, or come by the forum to talk about them!
Birds in Movies Songs and Poems
Birding Help Hints Tips and Information
All content copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.
You MUST GET WRITTEN PERMISSION to reprint or republish any of this material.
Lisa Shea's Ethics of Reviews | About Lisa Shea