SEE Family Web Page
Greetings! The SEE family starts in Holland and came to New York and Virginia from that base. We have quite a few connected lines here, as well as on line records and histories.
SEE TARRYTOWN INFORMATION
There are also notes on related "Dutch" lines - Yerks/Reynolds/Slagle/etc. in there too
NY - North Castle etc. See Line
The original spelling was SY in France. When the persecution of Protestants became too great, they moved to Germany and Germanized the spelling to SIE--the basic rule of German pronunciation being to pronounce the second vowel and silence the first. With the issuance of the Edict of Nantes, some of the family moved back to France and some stayed in Germany. When the Edict was revoked, they threw up their hands in disgust and came to America ;) with the main contingent aboard the "Diamond" in the body of Isaac and Esther and their children and some wives. They landed in "New Netherland" on 22 Oct 1674. - Rena
NOTE: Katy Thomas has come up with a line tracing Isaac See back to JACQUES SIX, born Abt. 1489, Croix, Nord, France. Our research has it ending with Jean See, father of Isaac. Rebuttals to the "Six connection" were made by David and by Rena.
Jean See is listed as a valid Huguenot Ancestor
The Calais GenWeb Page is Here.
- Jean See, b~1634, Calais France, father of Isaac (top of "David's Line", married Esther)
- Martin John Sy -- 1874 IL, comes from Jacob Sy -- b~1595. Amsterdam via France, Germany and Prussia. Brother of Jean, perhaps.
- Maira(Maritie) See, b1702 daughter of Jacobus (Isaac Jr's brother)
- Catherine See, b1708 Maspeth, NY, son of Jacobus (above)
- David See, b1751, NY -> DE through David, son of Jacobus (above)
- Abraham See b1753, son of Isaac-Jacobus (above)
- Abigail See, b1798 NY, daughter of John-Isaac-Jacobus (above).
- Robert W. See, b1941, White Plains, NY through Robert-Edgar-William-Andrew-Andrew-John-Isaac-Jacobus (above) Lisa's Line!
- Charles See, b1894, NY probably brother to William (above)
- Ellen See, b1856, thru Andrew-John-Isaac-Jacobus (above)
- Peter See II, b1717 son thru Derik-Derik-Peter (Isaac Jr's brother).
- Garrett See, b1811, Gallatin NY through Abraham? Jacobus?
- Sie 1774 now FRA>HOL>WestchesterCo,NY,USA (no further details yet)
Kansas See Branch of NY
- Zilla Josephine See, b 1873, KS - see next entry
John See (b1784 NY) had Jesse (1820 CAN) -> Palmer (1850 IL) -> Zilla (1873 KS)
Note: The top of this line is Joost Sie and Esther Gardiner, of the Jacobus Sie line!!
One family began with Martin See, perhaps arriving in PA in 1743, then PA->VA->KY. He had John (b1755) who had Joseph KY, IN, MO (b1787). Joseph had a son named Joseph (b1817) who went to California.
- George Ludwig SEE (ZEH) b1685, Prussia -> NY -> WV, kids: Jacob, Betty, Mary, Frederick, Elinor, John Bernard, Michael Adam, George, Mary Magdaline
- More info on George SEE - ties to Nancy See 1817.
- John See, 1775, KY->VA->KY
- William See, b1782, VA - Nimrod, Benjamin, George See were kids.
- Thornton See, in 1784 had George in VA
- David Way See, b Sept 15, 1786, Greenbrier Co., WV
- Anna See, b 1806, TN
- Nimrod SEE, b1807 in KY to William (above) & Betsy
- John See, b1823, KY? with his nephew:
Buford A. See, Born ~1864, KY -> Canada
- John Albert See, bMarch 03, 1877, Golley MO -> Canada
Unconnected By Date
- Robert William See, b1950
- Lydia Jane SEE, b~1890, Brampton UK
- Alice Sarah See, b1878, MT
- Minerva Alice See, b~1860, OH?
- Charles See, b1840, Warboys -> Ontario
Daniel Seese, b1834, in NYC, NY (changed later to See)
- Adam SEE, b1813, Jefferson Cty NY, family to WI/MI
History of the Huguenot Immigration to America - book
Tons of US SEE Land Records! - Bluford See in AK, more!
Alberta, Canada SEEs
Kentucky Cemetery Listing
See's Candy, CA
Hints for Finding an Ancestor
Genserv for SEE, as of 6.8.98
Cyndi's List: HUGE
GENDEX, a huge search engine.
Lisa's Genealogy Page