The Ten Commandments
The Da Vinci Code
For anybody who believes the Bible is a single static document, it's important to look at the Ten Commandments. You recall that these stone tablets were given to Moses by God, to guide his people with. When Moses came down with them he saw the pagan rioting and destroyed the tablets in disgust. God gave him some more :) These tablets therefore existed for the Jewish faith. In fact, Jews celebrate the day they got the commandments as "Shavuot".
These same commandments were carried over into the Christian faith. Of course, Christians don't celebrate getting them.
JEWISH TEN COMMANDMENTS
1) "I am the Lord your G-d, Who has taken you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of slavery"
2) "You shall have no other gods but me"
3) "You shall not take the name of your Lord in vain"
4) "You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy"
5) "Honor your father and mother"
6) "You shall not murder"
7) "You shall not commit adultery"
8) "You shall not steal"
9) "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor"
10) "You shall not covet your neighbor's goods. You shall not covet your neighbour's house. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his bull, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbour's."
Note the very explicit listings in part 10!
OK, on to Christianity. Here is what the King James Bible lists as Exodus 20, which is where the Christians discuss the Moses Incident.
1And God spake all these words, saying,
2I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
6And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
7Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
12Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
13Thou shalt not kill.
14Thou shalt not commit adultery.
15Thou shalt not steal.
16Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
17Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.
18And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
Note that it says:
NO GRAVEN IMAGE OR ANY LIKENESS - that means, no paintings of God or anybody in heaven. It also very clearly says that the seventh day must not involve any work - not by you, or anybody in your family. Note that they are NOT talking about "work in an office". They explicitly mention the daughter, who back then would not be doing office work. They are saying no work of any kind - no mending, no sewing. No chores. No "serving" by the servants.
Official Vatican List
Here is Vatican's official list from the Vatican Website for all Catholics.
1. I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.
2. You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
3. Remember to keep holy the LORD'S Day.
4. Honor your father and your mother.
5. You shall not kill.
6. You shall not commit adultery.
7. You shall not steal.
8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.
In this version the wife was separated from the goods, which I suppose is a good thing. It doesn't mention your neighbor's HUSBAND. Note how the Catholics change "Sabbath" to "Lord's Day". Also, where did the whole section on graven images go?
All content copyright © 2013 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.
You MUST GET WRITTEN PERMISSION to reprint or republish any of this material.
Lisa Shea's Ethics of Reviews | About Lisa Shea