In essence to summarize you:
* Save the Word document out as Filtered HTML
* Import that into Calibre
* Convert that into an EPUB
* Polish the EPUB in SIGIL. Resave it.
* Use Calibre to convert the EPUB to a MOBI
That's it - you're done.
The software I ended up with on my computer was this:
* Word - you can use a Word clone if you wish, as long as it makes filtered HTML files
* Calibre - free software converts Word / PDF files into ePub standard ebook files
* Sigil - free software lets you tweak and edit that ePub file. This ePub file is what Lulu, Nook, Kobo, and other systems take.
By going in this order, it means I have one ePub file that is then used for all four systems. That way I only have to modify one file and I then know it's all set for all applications.
Creating an Amazon Kindle Ebook - main page
Lisa Shea Free Ebooks
Lisa Shea Full Library of Published Books
Getting Your Book Published
Writing Tips and Online Books
Lisa Shea Medieval Romance Novels
Online Literary Magazines
Lisa Shea's Homepage